30.1.10

Home Remedies for Colds

A couple of weeks ago, Una and I suffered from sore throat, coughs and stuffy nose. It's more like she transferred her colds to me. But I am thankful that she's a bit better than I am when we were sick together. And because I refused to take any medicines while breastfeeding Una, I used some natural ways to help relieve our suffering.

These are just some of the home remedies that works for us:
  • Lots of fluids. Whether it be water, juice or tea. Drinking lots of fluids is good for the body and helps you get dehydrated.
  • Rest, rest, rest. During the week that we were sick, sleeping is our bonding time.
  • Chicken soup. This definitely worked for me. I just love inhaling the steam of hot soup. Not just good for the soul but for your nasal passages as well and of course, it's very filling and very healthy.
  • Salt water. Another home remedy that works well with me. I just mix some salt with water, gargle for a few minutes and it helps soothes the darn sore throat. My father-in-law prefers to actually drink it but I don't think it's really healthy and I don't recommend that method but it works for him. But I prefer the gargling part and it works for me as well.
  • Saline nasal drops. These are definitely useful especially to babies. Una doesn't like this because she doesn't like the feeling of having something dropping into her nostrils but it's very useful and safe.
  • Vitamin C. I usually take 500mg of Vitamin C everyday but I double the dosage whenever I'm sick.
  • Oregano extract. This is something for Una. All you have to do is boil the oregano leaf then squeeze it's juice and we use that extract for her to take. I personally do not like the smell of fresh oregano leaf, the extract is a bit bitter but it sure does work. Her pediatrician also recommends the use of oregano extract. See details below for instructions according to PhillipineHerbalMedicine.org
Preparation of Oregano Leaves:
• Boil one cup of fresh leaves in 3 cups of water for 10 to 15 minutes. Drink half a cup 3 times a day for common colds.
• For a concentrate, juice the oregano leaves and take 1 tablespoon every hour to relieve chronic coughs, rheumatism, bronchitis, asthma, and dyspepsia.
• For Insect bites, wounds and stings, apply the leaves as a poultice directly on the afflicted area.
• For sore throat, boil 2 tablespoonfuls of dried oregano leaves in a pint of water, take 2 hours before or after meals.
• To prevent degenerative arthritis & for general good health drink oregano concoction daily.
 If you have other home remedies for colds that you'd like to add, feel free to share it in the comments section.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this very useful info - I have yet to try the Oregano concoction :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are <3. Let me know what you think of the blog post above. Please be responsible when leaving a comment. Comments are moderated.